June 16th and 17th The Eat Real Festival is coming to LA.
With a focus on local, sustainable and organic food, the Eat Real Festival highlights some of the very best foodie experiences throughout LA.
And get this… free admission with no food item over 5 bucks.
Here is a shortlist of activities over the weekend.
• A kraut-a-thon learning how to make sauerkraut
• Chickens in the City – meet the Dare2Dream chicken farmers, learn how to build coops and tend to urban chickens
• Growing food in small places with “Life on the Balcony’s” Fern Richardson
• Tomato sauce making with KCRW “Good Food’s” Evan Kleiman
• Pretzel making with Aida Mollenkamp
• Solar cooking
• Pantry cook-offs from LA Top Chef former contestants and other local chefs
• Cookbook swap all day on Sunday
• Kimchi for All class with Lauryn Chun (of Mother in Law’s Kimchi)
• Foraging in Southern California – Learn some of the wild and abundant food that grows in SoCal
• Urban bee keeping demo and installations
• Beer and Wine gardens featuring locally crafted brews and regionally grown wines
• A community oven for freshly baked bread
• Multiple garden installations and tours for small and large living spaces
• Bike valet
• “The Future of Food Writing” panel moderated by OC Weekly’s Gustavo Arellano with noted LA food writers & bloggers
• Open competition for event attendees to enter homemade goods under 4 categories:
o Canned Heat – Salsas or spicy condiments
o Sweet Spread – Jams, jelly, conserves, and syrups.
o Puttin’ It Up – All things pickles, chutneys and relishes
o Breads – Bake ‘em if you’ve got ‘em
• Butchery competitions with Lindy and Grundy and more
• Educational farm-to-table story focusing on sustainably raised whole cows purchased for use and consumption at the festival
• Extensive food offerings from popular food trucks and local restaurants such as:
o Flying Pig
o Nom Nom
o Global Soul
o The Hungry Nomad
o Slap Fish
• Marketplace featuring locally made crafts and handmade goods from folks such as:
o Lindy and Grundy
o Shortnin’ Bread
o Crème Caramel LA
o Pop-ups from: Santa Monica FM and Hollywood Farmers Kitchen
• Main Stages for musical acts, DJs, DIY demonstrations, marketplace presentations and competitions such as pizza tossing and the first ever Flying Knives steer butchery contest.