Bon Me’s Spicy Ginger Lemonade
- 2 cups ginger chopped into half-inch pieces
- 14 cups cold water
- 1¼ to 1½ cups of sugar, or to taste
- ¾ cup lemon juice
1. Place ginger and cold water in a medium pot. Place a lid askew on the pot so that the pot is mostly covered. Bring to a simmer.
2. Continue to simmer (not boil) for an hour and a half. You may need to adjust the heat down periodically as the water level decreases. If the water level goes below the level of the ginger, add 1 cup of water to the pot and continue to simmer. Add additional water as necessary to keep the ginger under water.
3. Remove pot from the heat and add one cup of sugar and all the lemon juice. Mix until sugar is fully dissolved. Strain the ginger lemonade into a heatproof container. You should yield approximately 12 cups of ginger lemonade. If you yield less, add cold water to make up the difference.
4. Taste the ginger tea, and add the additional ¼ or ½ cup of sugar, or to taste.
5. Serve either hot or cold.
Makes 12 cups