It’s sweet, rich, crumbly, cinnamon-y and best when eaten for every single meal of the day, especially on National Coffee Cake Day. Yes, it’s cinnamon roll coffee cake – the perfect combination of the flavor and glazed drizzle of a cinnamon roll and the buttery richness of classic vanilla cake. Check out the recipe below and mix, crumble, bake, cut and enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
For the Crumb Mixture:
1 1/4 cups of unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped pecans
For the Yellow Cake:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup milk
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-x-9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. To prep the crumb mixture, melt the butter in a heatproof bowl and let it cool for 2 minutes. Then stir in the brown sugar and granulated sugar, add flour and cinnamon and stir until combined. Lastly, mix in the chopped pecans until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
3. To prepare the cake batter, in one bowl mix together the butter, milk, eggs and vanilla until they are a creamy consistency. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder and then slowly mix the flour mixture into the creamy mixture, until combined.
4. Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan, place into the oven and allow to bake for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and spread half of the crumb mixture over the cake layer. Then pour the remaining batter evenly over the crumb layer and sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.
6. Place the pan back into the oven and allow to bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (If the crumble appears to be burning or browning too much cover the pan with foil to allow the cake to continue cooking)
7. While the cake is cooling, whisk the ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl until slightly runny.
8. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the top of cake, cut into squares and enjoy!