Cinco de Mayo – a holiday rooted in the Mexican victory over Napoleon III in 1862 – has now become more of an American holiday than anything. It is celebrated nationwide by people of a variety of backgrounds, through lots of tequila, strong fruity drinks, cheese, meat and bean-filled dishes and sweet sugar-coated desserts. To get you ready for the day, we’ve provided you with a few recipes below that take a different spin on some classic dishes.
1 cup pineapple chunks
2 tbsp fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp fresh-squeezed orange juice
⅛ to ¼ cup superfine sugar (depending on the level of sweetness of the fruit)
1/4 cup of tequila
3 tbsp orange liqueur
1 tbsp Kosher salt
1 tbsp coarse/sparkling sugar
Lime wedges & pineapple chunks for garnish, if desired
California Walking Taco
6 individual sized bags of Doritos or Fritos chips
2 grilled chicken breasts, seasoned with kosher salt and pepper
6 slices cooked bacon, diced
1 can black beans, cooked and drained
1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded or diced
2 California avocados, pit removed and diced
1 bag spring mix salad greens
1 cup grape tomatoes
½ cup Chipotle Cheddar or Southwestern salad dressing (I use Brianna’s brand)
1. Take each individual bag of chips gently crush them and cut open the tops.
2. Scoop lettuce into each chip bag. Top with diced and cooked chicken breasts, bacon, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and avocados.
3. Drizzle with Chipotle Cheddar salad dressing.
4. Using a spoon, gently fold the mixture, from the bottom up, together within the bag.
5. Take it to go and enjoy!
Churro Cheesecake Bars
2 pkgs Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls
2 pkgs (8oz each) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9X13 baking dish.
2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp cinnamon in a small bowl and set it aside
3. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese until smooth.
4. Then add in egg, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
5. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture in to the bottom of the greased pan.
6.Open one can of crescent rolls and lay out flat.
7. Use your fingers to pinch and press the seams together so it is a solid rectangle of dough.
7. Lay on top of cinnamon sugar mix on bottom of pan.
8. Pour and spread the cream cheese mixture over crescent dough.
9. Open second can of crescent rolls and lay out flat. Again, pinch together the seams. Lay on top of cream cheese filling.
10. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar mixture on top of dough.
11. Bake for 30 minutes until edges are golden brown.
12.Let cool and enjoy!